|Click on a topic.|
- Getting Started
- Finding, Using & Requesting Books in the Catalog
- What to read next? – Try NoveList Plus
- Can’t find the book? Request an Inter-Library Loan.
- Can’t find a NEW book? Place a purchase request.
The Delaware Division of Libraries provides a number of online databases that may be searched for magazine or newspaper articles. Many of the articles are full-text and can be read online for free. You will need your library card and PIN number to access these databases from home. Looking for Magazine Articles?
- eMagazines – EBSCO Masterfile Premier
- Delaware Today and Delaware History – Wilmington Librarians have indexed Delaware Today back to 1978. To search for articles, do an “Advanced Search” in the Library catalog. Under “Additional Limits,” change the Library field from “any library” to “Newspaper Index (Wilmington Public Library Reference)”. Search for whatever keyword or author you are researching. To read the article you will need to come into the library or contact the Reference Desk for assistance. 302-571-7400 ext 2416.
Looking for Newspaper Articles?
- Delaware Newspapers can be searched online. The database you need will depend on the time frame you are searching. The Wilmington Public Library has the local newspaper on microfilm from 1871 to the present. Once you find a citation, you can visit or call the library for more information about obtaining that article.
- Delaware Online is the News Journal‘s own search page. Searching is free, but it charges for articles older than 7 days. This database searches articles back to November 30, 2002.
- News Journal Newspaper Index (1989 – present). The Wilmington Librarians have indexed the major stories back to 1989. To search for articles, do an “Advanced Search” in the Library catalog. Under “Additional Limits,” change the Library field from “any library” to “Newspaper Index (Wilmington Public Library Reference)”. Search for whatever keyword or author you are researching. This is not a full-text database. To read the article you will need to come into the library or contact the Reference Desk for assistance. 302-571-7400 ext 2416.
- Delaware Index (1922-1977): Cardfile index of main articles from local newspapers and other resources. Please come in person or contact the Reference Department for assistance. 302-571-7400 ext 2416.
- The history of Delaware newspapers by the University of Delaware. http://guides.lib.udel.edu/delawarenewspapers
The Delaware Division of Libraries provides for a number of online databases. You will need your library card and PIN number to access these databases from home.
Some databases must be accessed from a computer in the Library. Ancestry – Library Edition
Need a good website? Look in LibGuides for information on a wide range of topics.
- Free online GED practice test: http://www.gedtestingservice.com/educators/freepracticetest
- Need an image/picture of Delaware? Try the Delaware Heritage Collection.
- Visit Ask a Reference Librarian at Wilmington Public Libraries to get assistance using these databases or help answering your questions.
Wilmington Library has a Job Center to assist you in your job search. Open hours for the Lab are Mondays from 2:00PM to 6:00PM. Click here for more Information: WILMINGTON LIBRARY JOB CENTER. The Delaware Division of Libraries offers a LibGuide on careers, training, and job searching with numerous links to useful sites.