To encourage responsible use of the library, timely return of library materials, and payment of library fines and fees, the Wilmington Libraries will issue a card to new borrowers with restricted parameters for checking out materials and requesting materials for a period of SIX MONTHS from date of issue. This will enable the new borrower to develop good library habits and learn the policies and procedures of being a responsible library patron. New Borrower’s Cards will be issued to adults, minors, residents and non-residents.
The patron who checks out library materials is responsible for the return of those materials on time as well as for any cost associated with the damage or loss of library materials. Restricting the amount of materials that may be borrowed at one time will help new library patrons to develop good habits including timely return of materials and prompt payment of any costs associate with their library account.
The borrowing parameters for a New Borrower’s Card are:
- Limit of 12 items CHECKED OUT AT ANY ONE TIME
- Only 3 of those 12 may be DVDs
- Only 3 of those 12 items may be books on cassette or CD
- Only 3 of those 12 items may be music CDs
- Only 3 of those 12 items may be VHS
- Only 1 of those 12 items may be an MP3 Playaway or Walk-In Collection item
- You may have 7 eBook/eAudio/eVideo checkouts in addition to your 12 physical items.
- A limit of 5 items on hold request
- After 6 months, your card will be changed to a permanent card if you meet the following conditions: Have zero balance of fines and no items overdue, lost, or claimed returned. When your card is changed to permanent, you will be permitted to borrow up to 99 items, 10 of which can be DVDs. You will need to show your current state ID or Driver’s license at the time we switch your card over to permanent.