Reopening! with Grab and Go Services
Welcome Back! Beginning April 12th, all New Castle County Libraries, including the Wilmington and North Wilmington Branch Libraries will begin limited public access with “Grab & Go” browsing and check out. Regrettably, not all services will be available at this time, but will be phased in as local conditions and guidelines permit. Select in-person services will allow patrons to browse the collection, checkout materials, place and pick up holds, and register for new library cards. Libraries will also offer shortened access to public computers and printers. To protect the library’s most vulnerable visitors, patrons are asked to limit visits to 20 minutes unless using a public computer. For more details about each service available, please see below.
We Care About Your Safety! The Libraries will be following county, state and federal health guidelines as well as best practices established by national library organizations.
- Masks: All staff, visitors and patrons over the age of 2 are required to wear a mask. Masks must cover the nose and mouth.
- Social Distancing: All staff, visitors and patrons must maintain a 6 foot distance from others.
- Building capacity limitations will be adhered to. Accordingly, patrons should limit their visit to 20 minutes for browsing and check-out. Public computers will be limited to 60 minutes, per person, per day.
- Plexiglass shields have been installed in staff and public staff and public areas where needed to maintain adequate distance between individuals.
- Library spaces have been temporarily reconfigured to maintain social distance and provide for the required 72 hour quarantine of returned library materials.
- Hand sanitizer is located at entrances and at each service desk.
- Frequent cleaning of public computers and other methods such as the option to use plastic keyboard covers, will be made available.
Limited Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
North Wilmington Branch Library:
Monday – Thursday: 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Saturday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Patrons are welcome to browse the collection once again and check out materials in-person. “Youth Service Book Bundle flyer” and Personal Shopper Service will still be available for patrons who wish for staff to continue to browse for them, and limit their time in the Library. Patrons should limit their visit to 20 minutes for browsing and check-out.
- Libraries will remain “fine free” until June 2021.
- Lost/damaged items will still need to be paid for at that time.
- Patrons can register for new cards in-person again.
As a result of limited building capacity and computer spacing needs, computer time is limited to 60 minutes per person, per day.
- Patrons are encouraged to use hand sanitizer before and after computer use.
- Patrons can print up to 20 black and white copies, per person, per day for free. Print jobs stay in the queue for 4 hours. To be courteous to others using the Technology Center, try to release all of your print jobs in one or two trips to the front of the room.
- Patrons can print in color or print more than 20 black and white copies, but must have exact change. Staff are not handling money at this time and can not make change for larger denominations. (Color copies are 50 cents each, b&w copies are 15 cents each.)
- Faxing will be available, but patrons must have exact change. Staff are not handing money at this time and can not make change for larger denominations. (Faxes are 10 cents per page.)
- To maintain social distancing, staff can only provide limited assistance to patrons.
- Guest passes can be provided to visitors with an out-of-state driver’s license or state ID.
The Library is able to provide in-person reference service, in addition to telephone and email service. Due to limited building capacity and the need to limit in-door exposure, public seating has been removed from this area. Patrons are encouraged to limit their stay to 20 minutes or less.
- Patrons can use the Xerox machine to make copies. But patrons are encouraged to bring exact change, or small denominations of $5.00 or less. Staff are not handling money at this time and can not make change for larger denominations. (b&w only, 15 cents each.)
- Staff can print up to 5 pages for patrons from the staff computers to assist in answering your questions.
The Youth Service Department will be available again for public browsing and public computer use. The Library is not able to offer in-house story times or programs. Please see a librarian about upcoming virtual programs. Please see a librarian about STEM kits you can take home or book bundles. Due to limited building capacity and the need to limit in-door exposure, public seating has been removed from this area. Patrons are encouraged to limit their stay to 20 minutes or less.
During this phase, patrons will not have access to study rooms, meeting rooms, or general seating. The Library will continue to offer virtual programming until local conditions and guidelines permit.