How Do I…?
|For answers just click on a question.|
Don’t see your question/answer listed? Email the library!
- How do I get a library card?
- A Library card is FREE for all Delaware residents or people who own property in Delaware. You can get a library card by filling out a Patron Registration Form then you can turn it in at the circulation desk of your local library. Check with your library for I.D. requirements. People who work in Wilmington, but live out-of-state, may also get a FREE library card at the Wilmington Public Library. You must be able to show proof of your employment. In some limited, special circumstances, the fee for a non-resident may be waived. For more information read “How do I get a New Library Card.”
- What is a New Borrower Card?
- To encourage responsible use of the library, timely return of library materials, and payment of library fines and fees, the Wilmington Libraries will issue a card to new borrowers with restricted parameters for checking out materials and requesting materials for a period of SIX MONTHS from date of issue. This will enable the new borrower to develop good library habits and learn the policies and procedures of being a responsible library patron. New Borrower’s Cards will be issued to adults, minors, residents and non-residents. New Borrower Card Parameters PDF”
- How do I login to my library account?
- Go to the main catalog page, type in your library card number in the upper right. Click Login and from there click on My Account at the top of the page to view your library account. Browse the catalog with all the features accessible by Delaware residents, request an item from any of our member libraries, or check your wish lists of books you’d like to read.
- How do I view my checked out items?
- Once you have logged in you can view your account details from the Review My Account screen. Click on My Account in the Menu bar then click on the Review My Account link. Depending on the activity in your account you will see: all your checked out items, holds (items from other catalog libraries), bills, and requests (messages to and from library staff).
- How do I renew an item?
- Click on My Account in the Menu bar and login. Then click on Checkouts to see the items you currently have checked out. Click on the box next to each item you wish to renew or click on Select All to renew all items. Click the Renew button. Read How do I renew and item PDF for full details.
- How do I change my hold pickup location?
- To change your holds pickup location, first log into “My Account” from the Library’s catalog using your 14 digit barcode number and PIN. Once you have logged in – Click on the “Tab” that says “HOLDS.” Click on the “Select All” button to make the changes to all of your holds. Or you can click on the box next to each item that you want to change. Click on the purple “Edit Pickup Location(s)” tab – A window should pop up showing each item you selected. Just click on the arrow next to each item and use the pull down menu to select a different pickup library location. Don’t forget to click on the “Change” button once you have made your selections. Instructions for changing pickup location with screen shots.
- How do I change my PIN?
- Login to your library account with your library card number and the PIN that you received when you registered for your card. Then click on the link that says, “My Account.” Click on the link for, “User PIN change,” this brings you to the form to change your pin. You will need to put in your library card number again and your current PIN, below that you can enter your new pin, confirm it by entering it again in the box below, click on the “Change PIN” box and you are done. Remember to write down your new pin. PIN’s can be any combination of letters or numbers 4 to 10 characters long.
- What if I forget my PIN?
- Patrons may request their PIN information in person at any public library or online. The online option will require your full name, library card number and email address. PIN numbers can only be sent to the email address that is on your library account. Please select “My Account (PIN…)” under the option for “What is your reason for asking us today?” Click here for the online request form.
- How do I see & pay my fines and or bills?
- You may pay your fees at your local library with cash or a check. To view your fines login to “My Account”, enter your library card number and PIN. Click on the tab for “FINES”, you will also see a total in your account summary on the right. How do I see my fines” PDF
- How can I sign up for a program, class or event?
- Events and programs often have different ways that you will need to sign up for them. For children’s’ events, please call (302) 571-7412. For adult programs, please see the program information sheet for requirements. Many adult programs are sponsored by another organization, and sign up is usually with that organization. If you are still unsure, please call the Reference Department at (302) 571-7416.
- How do I … eBooks and eAudiobooks?
- The Delaware Division of libraries has two separate databases one can search for eBooks and eAudiobooks to check out and enjoy. OverDrive is the database that offers the most fiction titles and Ebsco eBooks offers the most non-fiction titles. To see which database you may want to use with your device, please go to http://lib.de.us/ebooks-and-eaudiobooks/.
For instructions on how to checkout, place a hold, or return eBooks or eAudiobooks on your device, please look at the following HELP page. For information on how many eBooks you can have checked out, renewal information, how long you have until a hold expires once a title becomes available to you and other policy information, please visit the Delaware Division of Libraries OverDrive Lending Library Policy Page.
- How do I suspend my holds?
- Going on vacation or can’t get to the library for a while? If you don’t want to loose your place on the holds list, but can not get to the library, you can temporarily suspend your holds. You can cancel a hold suspension at any time. Instructions for suspending holds.