Can’t Find What You Are Looking For?
The Wilmington Library Reference Desk is always available to help you find the book, article, or information you are looking for.
You can also email or text with a Delaware Librarian through our Ask a Librarian service.
Request a NEW book for the Library to purchase:
The library takes book purchase requests from Wilmington Library patrons. The library is not able to purchase every book requested, but we always give serious consideration to the recommended titles.
- Titles must have been newly published within the last 12 months.
(An Interlibrary Loan will be made for books older than 12 months.)
- Titles must be readily available from major book distributors.
- Books should meet library selection criteria, such as reader demand and good book reviews.
- You must have an active Wilmington Public Library card in good standing to make a request.
You may contact the Reference Department with your request by phone, in person, or via email.
Interlibrary Loans (ILL):
If the Delaware Library System does not own books older than 12 months or magazine articles, we will try to borrow the materials from other libraries in a nationwide search. Please call the Reference Department at 302-571-7400 ext. 2416 to place your request. You may also place a request through the online Catalog’s “Can’t Find It” link on the right side of the screen. Just be sure to include your library card number and the title, author, and year of publication (if known) of the book. Mark the message as “Request an item” from the list of options.
- The library reserves the right to charge a fee if the interlibrary loan exceeds $5.00. (This rarely occurs and you will be informed ahead of time should any costs be incurred.)
- The library from which the material is borrowed determines the borrowing period for requested materials.
- We may try to renew the material once, but the lending library gives final approval for renewals.
- ILLs can take 4-6 weeks to arrive.
- The Library can not ILL textbooks, AV materials or books published within the last 12 months.
For more information, you can contact the ILL Department at email@example.com